Sunday 2 February 2014

An event that has shaped my life and the person I have become

I believe that how a person thinks or behaves are heavily influenced by the experiences he or she has gone through. Most people change over time, after being exposed to more situations, be it good or bad, and I am no exception. One event that has shaped my life and the person I have become is the passing away of my grandfather.

My grandfather passed away four years ago and that hit my family really hard. My family have been living well with occasional minor hic-cups all along. Therefore, this might be the very reason for us taking the happy times for granted.

The passing away of my grandfather has taught me to cherish every living moment spent with my family and friends and not to take the happy times for granted. It has taught me how fragile a human life can be and that we can never anticipate what is to happen in the future. Therefore after the event, I have changed to become a more cheerful person who makes the most out of everyday and most importantly, be happy. I have learnt that although to plan and look ahead in life is important, to slow down your footsteps and enjoy every living moments with the loved ones around you is also equally important.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rebecca, for this heart-felt post. You've reflected on the difficulty of adjusting to life without a cherished grandparent, and described how that has affected your realisation of how important every moment in life is, which has impacted your disposition. You certainly seem cheerful enough in class. I do wonder though if you were different before your grandfather's passing. What was it about your relationship with your grandfather that provided you with a sense of direction, one that might have been challenged when he died?

    As you might realise, I'm prying a bit. But I want you think about this idea of the human bond, and how breaking that can and does shake a person to the very core.

    In any case, I appreciate your sharing here, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebecca! :)
    It was a great pleasure reading your article.
    I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the passing of your grandfather.
    My grandmother passed away not too long ago and thus I feel you.
    Here are some of my suggestions:
    ....we can never anticipate what is going to happen in the future....
    ....who makes the most out of everyday life....
    ....slowing down your footsteps and....
    ....enjoy every living moment with your loved ones....
    I think smiling is very important and I really hope that you will continue smiling because smiling is free =)
    Best Regards,
    Qi Hui

    ReplyDelete